Sunday, August 8, 2010

August 6th

I didn’t sleep at all last night. All 3 babies were hooked to a monitor and every time that one of them moved off it would need to be adjusted. Also, when one baby moves it causes all of them to move so that makes it take a really long time to get all of the monitors back on again. Sometimes like an hour and sometimes they would get them all on and then someone would move or they would realize that they were picking up the same babies heart rate on more than one monitor. Plus, I was so worried that I wouldn’t have been sleeping anyways. When I got here they also told me that since I hadn’t done the glucose screening for this point in pregnancy yet that I needed to do it. Since I hadn’t eaten since 7 something the night before they decided to do it this morning which was fine. The only little issue with this is that I started having small contractions because I was dehydrated, but this was easily fixed with fluids through the IV. At about 9 am this morning I had someone take me to the radiology section of the hospital on a gurney. This took me by surprise because I expected to be able to walk. The growth scan was started and like always it took forever because there are 3 babies. Both boys look so good. Mason has an estimated weight of 2lb 11 oz and Kyle has an estimated weight of 2lbs 8oz. After hearing how much bigger the boys were it gave me a bit of hope that maybe they had been off by that much with Alyssa too. When they scanned her they also got that she is estimated at 1lb 1oz, bummer. All 3 babies’ cords were tested and we were told that we would soon be told the results of everything by the perinatologist. Well Dr Boe did a C-section that morning that started at 7 and lasted until mid afternoon and then had to go do another one that ended up being complicated as well too so we waited all day. When she made it in to see us she hadn’t yet gotten the results. The other Dr with her looked on the computer and saw the results while they were in our room. Both boys look good and we found out that Alyssa’s cord looks better than expected. There is no reversal through her cord and this is good. There is a resistance in her cord which means that she is not getting everything that she needs but she still is doing ok just not growing. This is by no means a good thing. This is really scary but as long as she continues to show no reversal and doesn’t show stress she won’t pass away. Also we had the NICU Dr’s come in and talk to us about the challenges that a baby being born at this time would face. It seems like the outcome for an almost 29 week baby is pretty good especially since I had the steroid shots the week before. Being that Alyssa is measuring so small things can’t really be as easily predicted as they are for the other 2. She is measuring about the size of a 22 week baby but she is the age of an almost 29 week baby. If she is just small for her age but developed she should have the same chances as any other almost 29 weeker. If she isn’t as developed they don’t really know how she will do until she is born. John and I decided that we would continue to monitor her and that if it came to a point where it was no longer safe for her in my belly that they would deliver all of the babies at that time. This could be about 5 minutes notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment